Welcome

Welcome to Blankenship Harrelson, LLP! Our goal is to keep you updated on the latest family law topics and helpful information as research and information comes across our desks. Let us know how we can help you.

Monday, June 27, 2011

My ex-wife can't pay her half of the house until it sells. What can I do?

My ex-wife is not interested in the house anymore because she cannot afford to pay her half until it is sold as ordered by the Court.  Can she just Quit Claim Deed her interest to me?

Although a Quit Claim Deed is used to transfer ones interest in property to another, I avoid using any kind of written agreement that would attempt to change a Court Order.  In this case the proper way would be to do a Joint Petition to Modify.  This way the changes will be made by the Court and you will not have to worry about her bringing some type of claim later.
JDF (205) 912-8247

No comments:

Post a Comment